Thursday, March 17, 2011

Irish Soda Bread - My Great Grandmother's Recipe

Happy Saint Patrick's Day to all!

Now, avid readers, I know that I have been shirking my updating responsibilities, but my new job has been keeping me ridiculously busy (in a good way). I will do my best to be more blog-conscious!

Irish soda bread, or Irish bread, as my family calls it, has been our tradition since before I can remember. Every March, we make tons of it to give to friends and take in to work. I know it was a hit in my office this morning!

So, without further ado, here it is, my Irish great-grandmother's recipe!

  • 4 cups all purpose flour
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 box raisins (~15oz)
  • 2 eggs
  • Buttermilk
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix all dry ingredients together by hand.
  3. Break 2 eggs into a 2-cup measure and beat with a fork. Add enough buttermilk to total 2 cups. Stir to incorporate eggs into liquid mixture.
  4. Pour wet into dry and mix all together by hand. Batter will be stiff.
  5. Put into a greased round heavy pan (use butter or cooking spray). I use old frying pans with the non-oven-safe handle removed.
  6. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Cool on rack.

1 comment: