Friday, February 25, 2011

Curried Chicken Salad, My Way

And now, its time for another episode of Billy's Confessions


Confession: I hate mayonnaise. Hate. With the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns.

Its gross. Every time I see it, I recall the remnants of liposuction from some Discovery Health Channel special.




Now that you've completely lost your appetite, I have a solution!

I make my chicken salad using my absolute favorite condiment: sour cream.

Tangy, luscious sour cream. Oh how I love thee. When it gets warmer, I will attempt to make sour cream ice cream. Really. But for now, on to the chicken salad!

"Dry" ingredients:
  • 2 cups poached chicken, chopped into small pieces (N.B.: this is a great way to use the chicken left over from making my chicken stock recipe!)
  • 1 cup grapes, halved (you can use red or green, depending on preference. I prefer the taste of green, but red looks better.)
  • 2 scallions, chopped (white and light green parts only)
  • 1/4 cup jarred roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
"Wet" Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sour cream or low-fat sour cream
  • 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp tumeric
  • 2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 or 2 tsp salt, depending on your taste
  1. Combine all "wet" ingredients in small bowl. Mix thoroughly. Taste. Adjust seasoning as needed.
  2. Toss "dry" ingredients together in larger bowl.
  3. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix gently but thoroughly.
  4. Serve in a pita, on a bed of lettuce, or just munch with a fork!

No comments:

Post a Comment