Confession: I hate mayonnaise. Hate. With the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns.
Its gross. Every time I see it, I recall the remnants of liposuction from some Discovery Health Channel special.
Now that you've completely lost your appetite, I have a solution!
I make my chicken salad using my absolute favorite condiment: sour cream.
Tangy, luscious sour cream. Oh how I love thee. When it gets warmer, I will attempt to make sour cream ice cream. Really. But for now, on to the chicken salad!
- 2 cups poached chicken, chopped into small pieces (N.B.: this is a great way to use the chicken left over from making my chicken stock recipe!)
- 1 cup grapes, halved (you can use red or green, depending on preference. I prefer the taste of green, but red looks better.)
- 2 scallions, chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 1/4 cup jarred roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 cup sour cream or low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 or 2 tsp salt, depending on your taste
- Combine all "wet" ingredients in small bowl. Mix thoroughly. Taste. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Toss "dry" ingredients together in larger bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix gently but thoroughly.
- Serve in a pita, on a bed of lettuce, or just munch with a fork!