His answer: CHEESECAKE!
My witty retort: Thanks, Blanche.
But seriously... I've never baked a cheesecake. Emphasis on baked. They scare me. They crack. And water baths? Oy!
This particular cheesecake, however, has been my absolute favorite dessert for most of my life. It is sinfully rich and delicious, just enough chocolate blended with the flavor of coffee...
If I could bathe in a dessert, it would be this one.
That bath, however, would be really frickin' cold. Because this cheesecake is not baked, it is frozen... Which is why the pictures of this cheesecake will be added later, because it is currently in the freezer solidifying. Make sure to give yourself at least six hours (over night is even better) for the cheesecake to come together.
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate wafer cookie crumbs (approx. 24 cookies)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
- 1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated)
- 2/3 cup chocolate syrup (I use Hershey's, from the can, not the squeeze bottle)
- 2 Tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp hot water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In small bowl, combine crumbs, sugar, and melted butter or margarine. In buttered 9" springform pan, pat crumbs firmly on bottom and up the sides of the pan. Chill.
- Whip whipping cream on high until medium peaks are achieved. Set aside.
- In lagre mixer bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add sweetened condensed milk and chocolate syrup and mix to combine.
- Dissolve instant coffee in hot water. Add to mixer and mix to combine.
- Fold in whipped cream until just combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- Freeze for at least six hours or until firm.