Saturday, January 1, 2011

Winter Soups!

To me, nothing says winter cooking like thick, hearty soups. They are easy to make, make your kitchen smell fantastic, and have that warm-you-up quality that you need when you're just in from shoveling snow.

Now, while most soup recipes call for gobs of butter, cream, or other rich ingredients to conjure up flavor, I turn to other, more healthful methods, namely roasting, pureeing, and fresh herbs. Because of this, most of my winter soups are low fat, and some are even fat-free! Add to that the fact that they're chock-full of vegetable goodness, as well as make-you-feel-full fiber, and you have a perfect, and tasty, food!

My soup recipes make a fair amount of soup. I recommend freezing leftovers in individual-size servings (I love those little Gladware or Ziploc plastic containers from the grocery store). Frozen, most will keep at least a month, if not longer!

Stay tuned for a week of soup recipes! First up, Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment